Thursday, August 9, 2007

A Typical Day

A few people have asked me recently what my day is like with the kids. A LOT of people have asked me how I do it. Well, here's a glimpse into a typical day with JonZReaTom. Maybe it will help answer some of your questions.

7:00-8:00AM-I start to hear noises of various sorts coming over the monitor. A few seconds of crying, some bouncing, jumping, kicking, chatter, laughter, etc. Most of the time, there will be a few seconds of noise and then they quiet down again. This could happen once or several times.



8:00-8:30-Sometime during this half hour, I will decide that I simply must get out of bed and get the babies up. I get everyone out of bed and let them wander about the nursery while I change diapers and relocate pacifiers that have been dropped. The usually hit the floor and roll as far underneath a crib as they can possibly go.

Then we eat breakfast. After that, I clean the kids up and put them in the playroom while I clean up the kitchen. Adult-free playtime consists of three things: contented playing, fighting with siblings over toys, and standing at the gate screaming at Mommy while she cleans the kitchen.




When I'm done, I join the kids in the playroom to play until naptime.

10:30-Naptime! Diapers get changed if needed and all babies go down for a nap! I use this time to take a shower, clean the house, do laundry, blog, email, etc, whatever needs to be done.

Noon-The babies get up from their nap and we eat lunch. The after breakfast routine is repeated.



2:30-Naptime! Naptime routines are repeated for babies and mom!

4:00-5:00-Sometime during this hour, I will get the babies up. They rarely wake up and start crying. The chattering and jumping just get louder and louder as each new child awakes and joins in the fun.

After the nap, we have a snack and play until dinnertime.

Usually around 6:30- We have dinner. Sometimes we eat as a family, and Jim cooks dinner. Other times, I whip up something just for the kids, and Jim cooks for the two of us after they go to bed.

The after-meal routine is repeated. Jim usually plays with the kids while I clean up. Then we all play together.

7:30-We watch Jeopardy! and get ready for bed. Jim brushes their teeth. As soon as Final Jeopardy is over, we turn off the TV, and I read a bedtime story.




8:00PM-Off to bed! We put the kids to bed, say a prayer, and kiss them goodnight.

It's Mommy and Daddy time for the rest of the evening!

And that's basically our day!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say that this actually seems more organized, better, less stressful than my day and I only have one baby! (plus two preschoolers, though). My one baby needs to take lessons from yours on how to nap.

Andria said...

That was an awesome post. I might have to take some pointers! It sounds so easy and organized. I can't get my 5 year old to bed in the alotted time! That's incredible!

TnMomTo3 said...

Good for you for having such a great routine...you're lucky they're still taking 2 naps!!! :)

I admire you for making this all look so easy!! At times, I find it very challenging having twins - I can't imagine doing it with 4! Way to go!!! :)

My name is Tammie said...

I just found your blog and I love it! Your children are so beautiful!! You must be doing such a good job with them. Those little faces look loved!

Bridgette said...

I love the bedtime story picture!! It is so cute.