Thursday, January 28, 2010

2010 Books

New year, new list of books! I read 19 books last year, not as many as in 2008, but I think many of them were longer than most of my 08 books, so I'm pleased with the number. It's nowhere near Becky's list. She read like 752 books or something...okay, slight exaggeration, but she read way more books than you would think possible for a mother of three! I'm amazed by her! Michelle probably read just as many as Becky, if not more, if that's even possible! She amazes me too! Let's blame my faulty eyesight for causing me to constantly miss punctuation marks, thereby forcing me to have to keep re-reading because the sentences don't always make sense if you miss the punctuation! It takes so much extra time!

Anyway, I'm trying a new thing with this year's list. I'm going to try ranking the books, rather than giving a mini-review. I'm going to use Becky's ranking system which is as follows:

1-3 I wish I could burn all copies of this book
4-6 Had a few things going for it, but definitely not my favorite
7-8 I enjoyed or got something out of this book, worth reading
9-10 One of the best, highly recommended

I'm also going to try to link all the books to Amazon so you can easily check them out if you want to know more.

1. Endurance by Alfred Lansing 9
2. The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde 8
3. The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells 7
4. The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers 8
5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Shaffer and Barrows 9
6. The Color Purple by Alice Walker 8
7. The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington 9
8. Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv 8
9. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout 9
10. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith 10
11. The Lost City of Z by David Grann 9
12. Wideacre by Philippa Gregory 4 (I have read 2 other books by this author and really enjoyed them. This book was well-written, as well, and had a plot that drew you in quickly, but within the first few chapters, the main charachter had sunk herself into levels of depravity that I just didn't want to continue to read about, especially since this was a 500+ page book and the first of a trilogy. No thank you.
13. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead 7
14. The Road by Cormac McCarthy 9
15. In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd 8
16. 1632 by Eric Flint 8
17. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 8
18. 1633 by Eric Flint 7
19. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson 8
20. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins 9
21. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins 9
22. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 8
23. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Graham-Smith 4
24. Othello by William Shakespeare

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it was 753 books, get your facts straight! kidding, of course. I am so honored that you have adopted my ranking system and I can't wait to keep track of your reads this year. I'm glad you enjoyed Endurance. Doesn't it read like a Hollywood movie? I kept thinking- no way this could be real. But it is! Now Ali, have you read The Book Thief? I did tell you about it right? The most unique, amazing, powerful book of all time? One of my all time faves and the book I recommend more often than any other? Just checking...

Quad Squad! said...

Yes, I read it last year and LOVED it!