Monday, January 10, 2011

2011 Books

Woohoo! New year, new list of books! Last year I managed to read 24 books! Not too shabby! Certainly better than the 19 I read the year before! Still nowhere close to Becky or Michelle, and I assume they both beat me at the Pulitzer race also, but that’s okay. The reading is fun no matter what!

I didn’t love the ranking system I used last year, simply because I feel the need to explain why I ranked each book the way I did, but I liked it better than writing out a mini-critique for every book, so I’m going to use it again. here it is:

1-3 I wish I could burn all copies of this book
4-6 Had a few things going for it, but definitely not my favorite
7-8 I enjoyed or got something out of this book, worth reading
9-10 One of the best, highly recommended

It will be interesting to see what gets read this year, since I have gone back to work. I predict a lot of classics because I’ll need to read them in order to teach them! As always, there will be a link in the blog sidebar, so check back every so often to see how I'm doing!

Happy reading!

1. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riorden-- For myself, I give it a 4 because I found it unbelievably predictable, but as a book for the grade 6-9 crowd, its intended audience, it’s probably more like an 8

2. The Blind Side by Mike Lewis--8--I particularly enjoyed the fact that much of the story took place in Memphis. If you enjoyed the movie, you'll also enjoy the book!

3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley--8

4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee--10

5. Macbeth by William Shakespeare--9

6. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare--9

7. 1984 by George Orwell--9--I'm certain I enjoyed this book more this time than when I read it in high school!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm adding a short summary after I rank the books i read this year. A sentence or two doesn't take long and will help me remember books better and others can know a bit more about each book too. Can't wait to see what you read in 2011!