Thursday, April 29, 2010

Full Disclosure

As you may or may not know, my friend Becky and I are having a Pulitzer-reading contest, despite the fact that she and I both know that she will win this contest. The number of books she reads in a year versus the number of books I read in a year just put the odds heavily in her favor, especially since she was ahead of me to begin with! Nevertheless, we compete!

So in a effort to keep up with it better myself and also to give her an idea of the competition she's up against (Ha! Not to mention the fact that I love lists and I love books and the idea of making yet another book list makes me supremely happy!) So, I'll be listing the Pulitzers I've read here, and I'll put a link to this post in the sidebar with my other reading info.

I'm using this list because it is the one Becky used in her original post on Pulitzers. It combines today's Pulitzer for Fiction with the winners of what used to be the Pulitzer for the Novel. By the way, our competition is who can read the most altogether, not just in one year, so I didn't read all of these this year!

Feel free to throw your hat in the ring and compete too! So far, I would recommend all the Pulitzers I've read. The ones in bold are my favorites.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2. The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
3. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
4. The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
5. Beloved by Toni Morrison
6. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
7. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
8. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
9. The Road by Cormac McCarthy


2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice! well i would NOT recommend the pulitzer i just read called The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It was terrible! but i DO recommend Interpreter of Maladies.

memckee2 said...

Just finished "Tinkers". Another one of those with no quotation marks that the committee seems to favor. At least it is short.