Saturday, January 31, 2009

2009 Books

Here's my new reading list for 2009. To see what I read last year, check out the link in the sidebar. There will also be a link to this year's list, so feel free to check back anytime!

1. Point of Origin by Patricia Cornwell--this was the first book I've ever read by her, and I had a really hard time getting into it. In fact, after three chapters, I almost put it down for good. Instead I kept at it, and eventually I really was drawn into the plot. It was good, but not good enough to make me want to read more by her.

2. The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith--a truly entertaining read. I liked the characters, learning about another culture, and the clever way Mma Ramotswe solved her cases.

3. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo--a wonderful, beautiful story, but definitely read the abridged version!

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak--GREAT book! Narrated by death, the story of a girl growing up in Nazi Germany and learning about the power of words, for good and for evil, a must-read!

5. No Perfect People Allowed by John Burke--interesting book about how no Christian is perfect and we shouldn't expect visitors to our churches to fit our ideas if "perfect" either, very thought-provoking, although by the end I felt like it was longer than it needed to be

6. Night by Elie Wiesel--famous true story of surviving a concentration camp during WWII, not for the faint of heart, excellent thought-provoking read

7. The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum--an excellent read! This book really sucks you in, you just can't put it down! The movie, although good, is almost a completely different story!

8. Multiple Blessings by Jon and Kate Gosselin--firsthand account of Kate's pregnancy and the first year and a half of the sextuplets' lives and the many ways God saw them through their challenges, well-written and very interesting, but sad in light of their current marital problems

9. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers--wonderful, beautiful, uplifting story of God's grace in action and what it really means to love someone as Christ does, based on the book of Hosea

10. Extras by Scott Westerfeld--4th book in the Uglies series, entertaining, but my least favorite of the 4, centers on a brand-new character, but Tally does appear for part of the story

11. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger--a classic that I had never read before, I didn't love it and had to really make myself read it, but I'm glad I did and can appreciate it for capturing the character of a depressed, angst-ridden teenager and for being a very ambitious and brave novel for the time it was written

12. The Shack by William P. Young--a book that has caused a lot of controversy in the religious world, I really enjoyed it and the insight it provided into relationship with God. Is it biblical truth? No, but that doesn't mean you can't learn from it.

13. A Gathering of Old Men by Ernest J. Gaines--the story of a group of old black men who band together to all take the blame for the shooting of a white man, I really enjoyed this book, especially the author's skill at capturing the different voices of the many charachters (each chapter is from a differnt person's point of view) and drawing the reader into their lives.

14. Becoming the Woman of His Dreams by Sharon Jaynes--a thought-provoking read for every Christian wife, reminding us that after God, our husbands should be the most important things in our lives, didn't agree with everything, but definitely one I'll read again

15. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger--fabulous book! I'm amazed that the author was able to keep who knows what at what point in time straight! Beautifully written! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

16. Miss Harper Can Do It by Jane Berentson--super fun book, excellent choice if you want something entertaining that combines love, war, 3rd graders, and a chicken

17. Dracula by Bram Stoker--the perfect October book! Better than the movie, although I was a little disappointed in the ending

18. Jane and the Ghosts of Netley by Stephanie Barron--seventh in the Jane Austen mystery series, as pleasing a read as all the others! As a Jane fan, I really enjoy this series and wish the stories were true!

19. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen--a classic, a favorite, I love it every time I read it!

No comments: