Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Baby Genuises?

Alright, I'm not saying my babies are any smarter than anyone else's babies...but let me tell you three stories. I swear to you, these are totally true!

A couple of weeks ago, I was singing "Old MacDonald's Farm" to the kids. When I got to "Old MacDonald had a cow..." Jonathan and Reagan both started crawling away. I thought, well, they're done with this song, but I kept singing. Then Reagan stopped, sat down, turned to look at me and HELD UP A COW! Then Jonathan did the same thing! He held up a cow! I just stared at them.

This weekend, Jim and I were playing with the kids in the playroom, and suddenly Jim says, "Did you see that?!" I say no and he tells me that Reagan looked at Zachary and jabbered some sort of gibberish at him. Then Zachary turned, looked around for a minute, picked up a block, and handed it to Reagan. She took it and smiled like that was exactly what she had asked him to do!

Then this morning, Jonathan had a toy phone. He pushed a button that caused it to play an instrumental version of the alphabet song. When it stopped, I started singing the alphabet song. When I finished singing, Thomas crawled over quite deliberately to the activity table and rolled the shaker that caused the ALPHABET SONG to start playing! The he turned and looked at me and smiled real big!

Now, I could be making a lot of something out of nothing. Perhaps these were merely coincidences. Perhaps all babies do this sort of thing, but I don't know because these are my first babies. Perhaps I'm just a crazy mom like every other crazy mom who thinks her baby is brilliant. Or perhaps, my babies really are brilliant! Perhaps, I've given birth to the smartest babies on the planet! Perhaps I should get Mensa on the phone right now! Perhaps I should stop saying perhaps!

Anyway, it gives me hope since the kids aren't talking yet (except for dada and mama)...at least not in a language I can understand! We are learning some sign language though. Zachary is particularly good, having already mastered more, milk, and eat. Sometimes, Jonathan and Reagan will also sign more. It's really exciting!

So, I guess I'll let you draw your own conclusions about the super-smart children I'm raising. I take total credit for their intelligence. Jim can have credit for ball-throwing, which they are also pretty good at, I have to say.


We'll be signing autographs tomorrow at 7 in the playroom!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are your FIRST babies??? Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Um, hello, of course they're geniuses... have you forgotten who their aunt is?? ha, ha. Just kidding. They have a pretty smart mom, too, ya know. Jodie

Anonymous said...

The true test will be if they know pink from purple, and if they find Gaston to be arrogant, right? jo

Anonymous said...

Yes, askde from the fact that they are brilliant, what you are experiencing is one of God's greatest gift to parents. It is the cool developmental stage wherein they understand so much more than they can talk. This is why we continue to try to reason with them instead of throwing them (or ourselves) against the wall. And this is where we can start teaching them cute parlor tricks such as 'show me your belly button' and 'take this to the garbage can' and 'go ask Daddy'. Fun times ahead!

Anonymous said...

Yea, Yea, Yea!!!
they have their own language! I was waiting for this! You gotta videotape some of them "talking" to eachother. Multiples-language is fascinating to me! I bet its adorable. I can't wait to see them!
loving the quad squad,
miss molly

TnMomTo3 said...

Other than my own babies, of course you have the smartest babies around! :)

I love this stage - communication is so much fun!! Of course, when they learn to say the word, "No" and "Mine", all bets are off. HA!!

Unknown said...

oh yeah? well, my children can speak telepathically with each other and are fluent in Latin.
JUST KIDDING, we moms are known to go a little nuts in comparing...
anyway- of course your children are brilliant. And they have a beautiful and brilliant mama to thank. as for jim, I am not so sure about...