Thursday, August 2, 2007

Peanut Butter

Okay, one last story from the trip to Memphis...

Step back in time. Before Memphis. I'm picking up the kids at Mother's Day Out at church (which was SO great this summer and I'm so grateful to Juli and all the girls in the youth group who did it and I'm so sad that it's over because school is starting back) and I run into my friend Jessica. Jessica is holding her daughter Anna Katherine who is happily munching on some Ritz Bits (tiny Ritz crackers with peanut butter, in case you don't know) and she asks me if my kids have had peanut butter yet. I say no, that we're a little leery of giving it to them because Jim has a cousin who is allergic to peanuts so that potential is there lurking in the futures of my children. Jessica tells me about her pediatrician telling her not to worry about it because she would not be the first person to give her kids peanut butter. And she says the doctor was right! She went to get Anna from somewhere one day and some random other child had given her a peanut butter cracker. She survived the peanut butter exposure, so now she gets to eat peanut butter. So don't worry, Allison, she told me, you won't be the first person to give your kids peanut butter!

Now, skip forward to Memphis. We're at my sister's house, all of us. Children are crawling everywhere. Kinley is eating a snack and Reagan is jealous. So KayKay goes looking for a snack that Reagan can have and spots a bowl full of bite-size snacky-looking things on the counter. She gives a bite to Reagan and then asks Jodie, "Do these have peanut butter in them?" Jodie answers yes and turns to me, "Have your kids not had peanut butter yet?" I say no and explain about the cousin and spend the next half hour glancing constantly at Reagan to see if she's broken out in hives or stopped breathing or exploded. Nothing happened. So I guess Reagan is safe with peanut butter. KayKay has yet to expose the boys, so I don't know about them. I can't bring myself to give it to them yet.

"And someday, Kallen, I'll give you peanut butter..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Reagan WANTED IT, so I gave it to her AFTER I asked Jodie if she could have it. :-)

Kay-Kay

Anonymous said...

What Reagan wants, Reagan gets. Peanut butter and all. After all, she has to grow up with 3 boys. She deserves some perks! Jodie

Anonymous said...

OKAY... you know the nurse pactitioner in me has to comment here. NO PEANUT BUTTER until age 2!!! I thought I had said that before! Studies show that PB exposure before age 2 can actually DEVELOP into a food allergy... I could tell you more to scare you, but I will stop there. :)
(sorry Kay-Kay, and aunt Jodie!)

Missing my kiddos! Have been in CO for a month and don't want to come home... The only thing pulling me home is all my precious patients!
Kiss those 8 little cheeks for me.
love,
Miss Molly

Anonymous said...

Forget about peanut butter. The important thing is that NO ONE was allergic to the CAT!

Kay-Kay