Monday, June 15, 2009

Hooray for the Children's Museum

Last week, my friend Kim and I took the kids to the Children's Museum in Oak Ridge. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!! We had never been and, to be honest, I didn't even know it existed! No one had ever mentioned it to me until Kim did, and that is such a shame because it was great fun! I wish so much that I had known about it months and months ago! So I'm doing my best to make sure all you Knoxville folks know about this little gem!



I admit, part of what made it so fun was the fact that the kids got in free, a treat we only get to enjoy until this Saturday when THE KIDS TURN THREE!!! (I can't believe they're about to be three!) But even after the upcoming birthday, the price for kids is only $5 each which I think is very reasonable for all the fun they had.


There are lots of exhibits at the museum that were way above JonZReaTom's heads, but there were also plenty of exhibits that allowed small children the freedom to climb and play and dress up and splash pretty much to their hearts content.


Here are a few examples: a castle to climb up and slide down, a spaceship with switches that turn lights on and off, a two-story child-size house to play all over, an old-fashioned type writer to bang on, I could really go on and on!



Jonathan, Reagan, Zachary, and Thomas outside the play house--they pulled absolutely everything out of the fridge and cabinets in the little kitchen, but they also put it all back before we left!


Keyboards you're allowed to bang on and drawers you're allowed to open--as far as they were concerned, it was the coolest room ever!

Playing dress-up in "Granny's attic"


We went on a weekday morning and even though there were summer camps going on there at the same time, we practically had the whole place to ourselves. We easily managed to always be where the other kids weren't. Kim brought a picnic lunch, and when we were done playing, we went out to the picnic tables to eat and play on the playground.
I highly recommend the Children's Museum of Oak Ridge to all of you! We'll definitely be going again! Kim, thank you so much for telling me about it and going with us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! What a great family you guys have. This reafirms my faith in the future of humanity! (And just in time, too!) Thanks!