Monday, May 31, 2010

Nature Nook: The Mystery Bean

Once upon a time, there were four children who came home from preschool with mystery beans. The beans were a mystery because they were hidden inside damp paper towels sealed within Ziploc bags, and you couldn’t see them at all. Now I know I could have opened the bags, unfolded the paper towels , and looked at the beans, but at the time, it didn’t occur to me to do so.

There were no instructions.

I wasn’t sure what to do with them, so like any busy mom of quads, I piled them on the kitchen counter and told myself I’d figure it out later.

Weeks later.

Finally, I decided I was tired enough of moving them from one spot on the counter to another and I was going to throw them away. After all, they’d been sealed away from air FOREVER so they must be dead by now, right? But before I tossed them in the trash, my curiosity forced me to open them up and take a look.

THEY WERE ALIVE! THEY HAD SPROUTED! THERE WERE ROOTS!!

So they were saved from the trash can and planted instead. I was so excited they had actually grown that I didn’t pay any attention to whatever remnants there were of the original beans. Were they green? White? Who knows?

Zachary’s bean was the only one that survived the first planting. It had grown the most and had the most roots in the bag. So when the garden was built, the mystery bean went from houseplant to potential garden veggie.

DSC_0101

I don’t know if we’ll actually get any beans from it, but it is flowering!

DSC_0102

We’ll be sure to keep you posted!

No comments: